News categories:All news
10 attractions in Austria - added by admin
Vienna was named again the best city for conferences. - added by CracK
Cinemas in Vienna under the open sky. - added by admin
EuroGallery.org - News
Austria > 20 Interesting facts about Austria Posted by admin on 16.06.2011 03:42 views 12172
1. The oldest zoo in the world, founded in 1752, is located in Vienna.
2. Austrian flag is one of the oldest national flags in the world.
3. The flag has been used since 1191, when Duke Leopold V had fought in the Battle of Acre during the Third Crusade.
4. 62% of land area is occupied by the Austrian Alps.
5. The second highest peak in Europe is located in Austria.
6. In Austria, there are 13 peaks over 3000 m and 34 - more than 2000 m.
7. Krimml Waterfalls are the highest waterfalls in Europe with a height of 380 meters.
8. Approximately one quarter of the population of Austria lives in Vienna.
9. Austria is the only continental country-member of the European Union, which is not a member of NATO.
10. Approximately half of the Austrian men are overweight.
11. Austria has five big cities - Vienna, Graz, Linz, Salzburg and Innsbruck.
12. Official language in Austria is German.
13. The anthem of Austria is Land der Berge, Land am Strome.
14. The music was taken from the last V.A. Mozart's work Masonic cantata, this work was completed by the composer 19 days before his death (05/12/1791).
15. Most of the population is Catholic, they make up 90%, 6% are Protestants, mostly Lutherans.
16. Austrians speak Austro-Bavarian dialects of German. These dialects differ considerably from the literary language.
17. Austria is a birthplace of the Viennese waltz. Austrian folk dance - lendler - is its prototype.
18. At free time Austrians are engaged primarily in sports.
19. Austria is the cradle of ice-dancing.
20. Austrian ski resorts attract tourists, it is also famous for the production of alpine skies.
To leave a comment you must log in or register